Saturday night you know the curry’s gettin’ hot…like you baby!
I’ll make you naan so you can eat the spicy slop…I’ll drive you crazy!
Did I just rewrite Whigfield?
Anyways, I was going out to Greater Manchester Skeptics so Si needed dinner that would be ready when he fiiiiinally got home.
Home made chicken curry with basmati rice and…home made mini naan!
I worked out I could make the naan in the 30 minutes the curry would take (and with the ingredients I had lying around)…Jamie/Macgyver…eatcha heart out.
Super Quick Mini Naan
- 125g plain flour
- 60ml milk or liquid whey
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp some other liquid fat (I used some olive oil)
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- flavour spices and things (I had sesame seeds, cumin seeds and ground coriander but nigella seeds, poppy seeds, dried onion bits etc would work great too…just throw in anything you feel like)
- bit of oil/fat for cooking (ghee would probably be good, I used groundnut oil)
- mix the liquids
- mix the dry
- add liquids to dry and need together for about 5 minutes
- leave in a bowl covered in a tea towel for 15 minutes
- either split into small blobs and roll out or roll and cut out shapes
- heat a griddle pan that you’ve brushed with oil
- cook for about 2-3 minutes on each side over a medium heat until golden
Generally naan should be tear-drop shaped which I find rolling out free hand to be annoyingly difficult to get consistent (I have been known to stamp my feet and throw dough across the room in a big hissy fit). I didn’t have a tear-drop cutter but, I have so many round ones I sacrificed one to erm, Vishnu(???) and stretched it at one end (really Richard Dean Anderson, I’m gunning for you).
They looked a little rigidly uniform but being so tiny I think it works. I was quite happy with the griddle lines and they tasted gooood. When I got home Si said the naan were tasty and gave his blessing for them to be made again; This is very positive as many things get the “they were nice but, maybe try something else next time” comment or occasionally the “why would you replace ALL the tomatoes in bolognese with oranges?! Did you honestly think it would be a good idea?” speech.