Gourmet protein power pancake cake with fig…num and grrr!
Getting enough protein is majorly important especially if you’re doing any sort of exercise regime…ps. I think we all are supposed to be BTW.
Getting food with protein and low carbs is easy enough; getting food that is sweet is easy enough; getting both together and you are usually talking a claggy mess that is not that nice to eat.
There are recipes for protein pancakes floating about but TBH, they just don’t do it for me…I don’t want a stack I want a big old cakey munch munch!
I tinker with this recipe often and this weekend I added some AMAZING figs I found in Waitrose…delicious, but I always think figs look like badly bruised scrota…oh, and some almonds, because I love them.
Protein Power Pancake Cake
- 200g egg stuff (I use 1 whole egg and make the rest up with egg white – go Two Chicks!!)
- 50g low fat cottage cheese (try and scoop the less runny bits from the tub and use that)
- 12.5g coconut flour
- 15g vanilla whey powder
- 12.5g wheatgerm
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Splenda to taste (I use LOADS!)
- smoosh everything together with a hand blender
- whisk until it has lightened and increased in volume (it won’t be meringuey but it’ll get a bit lighter)
- pour into a heated greased pan (I use a little 8 inch frying pan) and cook over medium heat (and pre-heat the grill)
- this is when you can throw on some fruit or nuts or other stuff
- when bubbles start making their way to the surface whack under the grill until golden
- chow down whilst feeling healthy and virtuous!
Here’s how I see the basic mixture breaking down nutritionally:
Good huh? Obviously you’ll have to add up any extra goodness you throw in like fruit, nuts a bar of chocolate chips (healthy good? not so much) but it’s super delicious, doesn’t taste like health food and feels like eating a whole cake thing and how often can you do THAT and not feel like queen of the piggies?!
This sort of thing makes up a large proportion of my diet as I could totally miss out savoury food and not be at all bothered…living for the sweetness, oh the sweetness, SWEETNESS! This can get a little challenging when you’re trying to eat low calorie and low carb!